Background & training
I grew up in coastal and rural North Devon and in primary school was very lucky to have a professional visual artist as my class teacher. Since childhood I've always sketched, photographed, created and painted, whatever else was going on in life! After O levels & A levels (including Art & Textiles), I did a BTEC National Diploma foundation in Art & Design, and then the first year of a combined Dance & Art BA Hons, before completing a BA Hons in Theatre & Dance. Every course I did included a photography module - even the Theatre degree!
Sculpting and large 3D
As a teenager, one very cold winter I built a life-sized horse out of snow with my sister: my first taste of sculpting at scale & something I'm delighted to have incorporated into my career. My first large willow work was a trial commisson for City of Lights in 2009 (the elephant, above): a brilliant insight into the joys & challenges of large lantern builds. I've since created bike-based lanterns, animals, animated figures, large themed piñatas, monsters, nests, tallships and more, for a host of festivals, events, and even films!
2D work & photographyI've worked and played in many media over the years - on canvas and wood, in oils and acrylics, using found objects such as slate, feathers, bits of clock, metal leaf and more. I've exhibited & sold privately and at various venues and exhibitions over the years; and was selected to represent Cornwall at the 39th Festival Interceltique de Lorient, Brittany in 2009, and again at Le Temps Du Sirens international Biennale of women artists in Brittany in 2010. I tend to share some of my photography on Instagram.
Workshops and approach
I offer a diverse range of creative arts workshops for children and adults, and believe in the importance of celebrating and fostering creativity and a sense of wonder in all our lives. It's brilliant when involvement in art opens a door for someone who had decided they weren't creative; I really believe time spent immersed in making art can open up possibilities, challenge our preconceived ideas, and help us forge stronger, more connected, happier communities that are also more resilient to change.
builds, commissions, visual arts projects
'Life Lights' Island Light Festival, ARTiculate 2020
'LIFE LIGHTS' was a fantastic 2-week ARTiculate community arts residency on Scilly in Feb 2020, celebrating the Islands' unique heritage of saving lives at sea. We conceived and delivered a project which involved hundreds of Islanders in a full week of school activity and another of community workshops, creating exciting wearable & portable processive builds (including the Tallship & Scillonian here, which I designed and led on) for our final magical parade - and an impressive celebratory cake-led finale! Full info & photos on the ARTiculate website
Voyager, Illuminate Plymouth 2018 & 19
I won a commission to build an Illuminated, 3m tall Mayflower ship lantern for the Illuminate Festival in Plymouth’s Mayflower 400 celebrations in Nov 2018; and was invited back with a revamped and enhanced build for Illuminate 2019.
The ship is built on a trailer towed by a bicycle, which 'sailed' around the streets of Royal William Yard, interacting with the public at this hugely successful festival. The final Illuminate Festival is now taking place in late February 2021.
Wadebridge Christmas Wonderland 2019
I was approached by Wadebridge Chamber of Commerce to produce and manage all the arts content for their first ever Wadebridge Christmas Wonderland Procession in 2019. This included designing and creating this giant Swan, leading schools carry-lantern workshops with 85 Year 4 and Year 5 children across two Wadebridge schools; and running a free on-the-day community workshop creating themed willow illuminations to carry; as well as managing all the final creations in the procession on December 14th!
The Early Bird & the Word Worms! Words In Woods 2019
For the inaugural Words In Woods Festival, organised by IntoBodmin & KEAP at Cardinham Woods, I created a processive character - The Early Bird - and her 'Word Worms' roving mini-poetry workshops, delivered out in the woods from a special set-up on the back of a bicycle! The Early Bird is a lovely advocate for our wild birds and their natural habitats, encouraging awareness and an involvement in environmental issues through the arts, and for all ages.
Galleon PinARTa, Sea Salts & Sail 2018
I loved making this beautiful Galleon 'PiñARTa' for Sally Crabtree at the Sea Salts & Sail Festival in Mousehole in 2018; I ran two days of workshops in a tent on the beach, inspiring children & families to create mini artworks and poems to fill it with, before we bashed it and shared the art, poems and sweets out each evening! Commissioned by Sally Crabtree and Word Voyages, this was also part of 'Dark Skies: Bright Stars' from Mayes Creative.
The Damselfly & Aviatrix, BikeLights 2017
The BikeLights team invited me to create a 'MiniBeast' build for the themed 2017 procession, and this idea for a Damselfly built around a bike frame was born, piloted by her Amelia Earhart-style Aviatrix. I also worked as an artist on the 'on-the-day' workshops for the first time, and helped coordinate materials for the festival workshops, before being invited to get involved in the producing side of things the following year.
Tyrannosaurus Rex, City of Lights 2013
My largest & most complex lantern build was this T Rex for City of Lights 2013, created in The White Building at Truro College where I was City of Lights artist-in-residence for that year, being very pregnant. The lantern had 13 separate moving parts and took 9 people to carry it and work its head, tail & jaws. BBC Radio Cornwall were my brilliant chief lantern bearers on the night, which was really windy!
Faerie Queen, City of Lights 2012
I created this giant Faerie Queen lantern commission also for Truro City of Lights in 2012 when she got to be the lantern who 'switched on' the city's Christmas lights during the event. This lantern had an extra lease of life as she was also chosen for year-long display in the lovely atrium space above The Lander Gallery in Lemon Street Market, Truro, from Nov 2012 - Nov 2013.
Condor piñata, El Dia de Los Muertos 2017
Time To Shine - the creators of the Wadebridge ‘El Dia de Los Muertos‘ 2017 event - approached me to create a giant Condor Piñata and to run family & community workshops to decorate the build, before hosting a grand 'bashing' of the bird, and of course a sweet-sharing, at the end of the afternoon!
Jabberwocky, Wonderland at 10 Acre Wood 2017
I created this Jabberwocky for 'Wonderland at 10 Acre Wood' site-specific theatre in 2017 - a large stilted character with huge black wings, neck & head, built on a backpack frame. As I knew how to rig, wear and work the costume, I also trained in stilt-walking and performed the role in the shows.
The Glamophone & Muse! BikeLights 2016
Variously inspired by His Master's Voice, The Spirit of Ecstasy and all things 1920's, this giant 'Glamophone' complete with dancing shadow 'flappers', and an accompanying, highly-lit Muse, were conceived, created and performed for the Wadebridge BikeLights festival for its 2016 theme, Marvellous Machines!
Cycling Circus Bear & Ring Mistress, BikeLights 2015
'Circa Ursa Major' was an off-the-wall commission idea for BikeLights 2015, whose nicely vague theme was 'Circles and Cycles'... they went for it, and to my own great surprise I managed to make a life-sized circus bear who actually cycled, built on a Tag-along being cycled by her red-coated, top-hatted ring-mistress to keep her in check!
Gryffon, City of Lights 2010
This Gryffon made for City of Lights 2010 was a big hit with all the kids, who thought he was Buckbeak the Hippogriff from Harry Potter! The lantern was lovely to make and was also chosen for a year-long display in the Lander Gallery atrium space in Truro from Nov 2010 - Nov 2011.
Elephant, City of Lights 2009
'When The Circus Came to Town' was my first build for City of Lights in 2009 - and my first large lantern build ever! I was thrilled when it was chosen for a year-long display in the atrium at the Lander Gallery, Truro from Nov 2009 - Nov 2010. It also enjoyed a new home for a time at the Port Eliot Estate, St Germans, whose emblem is, of course, an elephant!
Trebah NestFest 2019
This giant nest was created during Trebah Garden's Easter festivities 2019. Using cut branches & greenery collected by the Gardening team, working with visiting familiies I crafted the nest during one lovely busy day! Another artist workshop ran the following day to decorate the nest with flowers & feathers from the Gardens; this is the beautiful collaborative result!
Prideaux Gulls 2017
I was approached by DR2 and Simon Birch Company to create willow gull lanterns for use as props and on set during the Prideaux Angels site specific theatre performances at Prideaux Place in winter 2017. Working with a community group in Wadebridge and a school group in South East Cornwall, we created 28 beautiful illuminated gulls, which appeared throughout the show's run.
Community activities and workshops I've also run include:
- BikeLights: community and intergenerational workshops with elderly & younger participants; open community workshops (image of Wyndhurst Orchard workshop, picturedt) decorating bikes / scooters for processions, 2017- present
- Semaphore Stories: ARTiculate visual and story arts residency with Mayes Creative and Creative Scilly, May 2019
- Willow creature workshops for Penzance Library as part of Penzance Arts Week, summer 2017
- Frida Kahlo painting workshops with adults & older children at the Callington Arty Party for Pentreath Ltd, 2017
- Boscastle Festival sea-themed community 3D sculpture workshops & two mini-processions, 2015
- Boscastle Arts: lantern-making workshops for adults and children, Duck Race festival Jul 2015
- Mussels on the Fal: artist residency & community workshops/installation with ARTiculate, Fal River Fest 2013
- Truro City of Lights: lantern-making workshops in Truro schools 2009, 2010 and COL artist in residence Truro College 2013
- Chance & Change: art & dance workshops in North Cornwall with dancer Gemma Kempthorne 2010
- Shadow Stories: North Cornwall - story creation, character & shadow play residency 2009
- Hidden Worlds: NCAN combined arts residency with The Moveable Feast Co 2009
Schools activities and workshops I've also run include:
- Schools arts week working with Five Islands Academy on St Mary’s & St Agnes, Isles of Scilly - part of the LIFE LIGHTS Island Light Festival residency with ARTiculate, Feb 2020
- BikeLights: community workshops programme delivery for illuminated processive projects in Wadebridge & Bodmin, 2017 - present
- Story Box: creative story workshops for Endelienta with St Minver CP School and Open The Book group, 2017-18
- Willow Bees sculpture workshops with Year 2 Wadebridge Primary Academy, 2017 (pictured)
- Giant Christmas gift: build and workshops with nursery and Reception classes, Wadebridge Primary Academy, 2016
- Magical Spirals: beach sculpture workshops with Port Isaac & Boscastle Schools for DR2, 2015 (pictured)
- Truro & Penwith College Artist in Residence at The White Building for Truro City of Lights, 2013
- Truro City of Lights: lantern-making workshops in Truro schools alongside large builds, 2009 & 2010
Exhibitions in recent years include:
- WOOD+GREEN Wadebridge: exhibition & sale of 2D and photographic works, 2018-current
- TubeStation: exhibition & sale of works Polzeath 2017-2018
- Mussels on the Fal: with ARTiculate artists in residence at Fal River Fest on the King Harry Ferry, 2013
- Paper Scissors Stone: 2D work selected for exhibition & sale of works Lander Gallery, Truro 2011
- Le Temps Du Sirens: works selected for international Biennale of 42 women artists, Lorient, Brittany, 2010-11
- Festival Interceltique de Lorient, Brittany: artworks and photography representing Cornwall’s visual arts alongside one other artist at prestigious 39th International festival, 2009